Govt pledges swift action on Windhoek-Rehoboth road damage

Work underway to deliver better solution
Michael Kayunde
In the wake of heavy rains that caused significant damage to the Windhoek-Rehoboth (B1) road, Namibia’s works and transport minister has acknowledged concerns from commuters and pledged a rapid response to restore normal traffic flow.
In a ministerial statement released on Tuesday, works and transport minister Veiko Nekundi addressed frustrations over the newly constructed one-way bypass, an emergency measure implemented after the collapse of a bridge along the crucial route.
“We recognise the inconvenience that this has caused and appreciate the patience of the affected residents as we work towards a permanent solution,” Nekundi said.
The ministry, in collaboration with the Roads Authority (RA), emphasised its commitment to resolving the crisis promptly. Nekundi explained that the 350-metre, one-way bypass was an immediate intervention to maintain connectivity for road users after the bridge sustained structural damage last week. The bypass was built within a day.
The temporary bypass, however, has resulted in increased travel times, traffic congestion and safety concerns.
Acknowledging these issues, Nekundi assured the public that work is underway to deliver a more permanent solution.
“The RA is currently engaged in the construction of a two-way bypass, which will significantly ease traffic congestion and improve road safety. This construction is progressing as planned, and we anticipate completion within the next three weeks,” the minister said.
Emergency protocol
The Windhoek-Rehoboth corridor is a major artery for daily commuters and commercial transport between the capital and southern regions of the country. The recent damage and subsequent traffic disruptions have sparked concern among residents and business owners who rely on the route for daily operations.
When contacted for comment, RA manager for corporate communications Hileni Fillemon said the construction of the permanent two-way bypass is expected to be completed in approximately three weeks.
“With regards to the rehabilitation/reconstruction of the bridge, the RA is busy with the design. Once this is done, the procurement process will commence for the appointment of a contractor,” Fillemon said.
The emergency procurement method will be used to fast-track the appointment of a contractor to commence the rehabilitation, she added.